Begin at the beginning with fundraising
Good fundraising begins with prayer. This helps develop a clear Godly vision for your church - What are you seeking to achieve? Why is it needed or contributes to what is already positive in your locality? Where is the evidence for this? What difference it will make to people after the project is completed? It can also help speaking with other churches about their fundraising experiences.
How-to Guides to fundraising
- Church of England’s Parish Resources. This is an excellent range of ‘funding guides’- 12 guides on capital fundraising and 6 further guides on church activity fundraising. This includes traditional fundraising methods and online fundraising.
- Code of Fundraising Practice. The Church of England have created a page that links to the Code of Fundraising Practice (in full), provided a simple guidance document for churches and guide for churches for vulnerable people.
Further How-to Guides
- Ecclesiastical Insurance Fundraising Hub. Provides advice and suggestions for grants, including offering 1:1 support.
- Charity Fundraising: A guide to trustees duties, (CC20) by the Charity Commission. This explores essential matters to consider when fundraising from the public.
- NVCO Know How. The National Council for Voluntary Organisations (NVCO) has a detailed and practical guide on funding and income, including fundraising. This resource is free.
- Fundraising Guide by the Diocese of London. A step-by-step guide to community fundraising, capital campaigns (fundraising for building projects) and trusts and foundations (grants
- Crossing the Threshold toolkit by the Diocese of Hereford. This comprehensive guide to a community development approach to the use of church buildings includes the chapter 'Raising the Funds'.
- National Churches Trust A simple guide to how to fundraise for your project.
- Community events A to Z by CAFOD. (A Catholic charity). An inspiring list of community fundraising events
- Better Fundraising Ideas: church fundraising. Some practical suggestions for activities
- Institute of Fundraising. This is the professional membership body for UK fundraising. The website has a wealth of guidance applicable to all types of organisations on different approaches to fundraising and legalities.
- Business Plan- a guide on how to write one from The Prince's Regeneration Trust
- Book, 'A Spirituality of Fundraising', Henri Nouwen, 2011
- Book, 'Beyond the Collection Plate: developing church income from different sources', Steve Pierce, 2015.
Fundraising and the law
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Guidance from the Church of England's Parish Resources
- The Code of Fundraising Practice: guide for churches is a guidance sheet produced by the C of E's Parish Resources team.
- Institute of Fundraising - guidance and information. A vast source of advice on how to legally and effectively fundraise.
- Charity Fundraising: a Guide to Trustee Duties, by the Charity Commission
- Charity Commission regulations: failed fundraising appeals by the Charity Commission
Top Tips on Writing Grant Applications
Financial questions on application forms
Legal questions on application forms