a page to celebrate and encourage reading in ministry
This page lists books read and recommended for Continuing Ministerial Development.
Please let Jane Hood know if there is anything you have read and would like to recommend to others. Or, get a Twitter conversation going with the name of book and its author with #read4CMD
Loveday Alexander, our Canon Theologian, led a CMD on Preaching with Matthew. This was a day to help preachers prepare for the new liturgical year. She recommended the following to #read4CMD:
Getting the basics
- William Barclay, The Gospel of Matthew (revised edn, 2 vols; Edinburgh: St Andrew Press 2009). Superb — and easy to find second-hand!
- Craig Keener, Matthew (Downers Grove: IVP Academic 1997). Challenging!
- N.T.Wright, Matthew for Everyone (2 vols; London: SPCK 2004).
The heavy mob
- W.D.Davies & Dale C. Allison, Matthew: A Shorter Commentary (ICC; London: T & T Clark, 2004).
- Ulrich Luz and J.Bradford Robinson, The Theology of the Gospel of Matthew (CUP 1995).
- Ulrich Luz, Studies in Matthew (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans 2005).
- Luise Schottroff, The Parables of Jesus (Minneapolis: Fortress 2006)
- Graham Stanton, A Gospel for a New People (Edinburgh: T & T Clark 1992).
- Kenneth E. Bailey, Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes: Cultural Studies in the Gospels
- Richard Bauckham, Jesus and the Eyewitnesses: The Gospels as Eyewitness Testimony
- James D. G. Dunn, Jesus Remembered (Christianity in the Making, Vol.1; Grand Rapids:
- Andrew T. Lincoln, Born of a Virgin? Reconceiving Jesus in the Bible, Tradition, and
- Geza Vermes, The Authentic Gospel of Jesus (London: Allen Lane 2003). A Jewish scholar’s understanding of Jesus in his historical context.
Backgrounds and foregrounds
On the theme of celebrating and encouraging reading in ministry, Nantwich Deanery Chapter reorganized their agenda for their November meeting. Each person was asked to introduce a book that had influenced or inspired them. Each person was given three minutes to explain the significance of the book to them. Here is the list of books:
• Kenneth Bailey: Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes - Cultural Studies in the Gospels
• Kenneth Bailey: Poet and Peasant and Through Peasant Eyes
• Joyce Huggett: Praying the Parables
• Barbara Kingsolver: The Poisonwood Bible
• Elizabeth Newman: Untamed Hospitality
• Wistawa Szymborska: Nothing Twice: Selected Poems
• Eugene Peterson: The Pastor
• John Betjeman: John Betjeman Collected Poems
• Taylor Caldwell: Dear and Glorious Physician
• David Osborne: The Country Vicar
• John Polkinghorne: One World: The Interaction of Science and Theology
• Susan Howatch: Absolute Truths
• Corsten Peter Theide: Cosmopolitan World of Jesus
• Brian Walsh & Sylvia Keesmaat: Colossians Remixed: Subverting the Empire
• Rick Warren: Purpose Driven Church
• Margaret Silf: Taste and See: Adventuring into Prayer
• Eva McIntyre: Mind Your Head
• William P Young: The Shack
• Robert Atwell: The Contented Life
• Diarmaid Macculloch: Thomas Cranmer
• Roland Bainton: Here I Stand – a Life of Martin Luther
• Herman Melville: Moby Dick
• Henri Nouwen: In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership
• Alister McGrath: C. S. Lewis: A Life: Eccentric Genius, Reluctant Prophet