Update on the Government's review on the DBS Disclosure system.
Safer Recruitment Guide for Safeguarding Co-ordinators
The Government recently introduced changes to the DBS system in order to reduce the number of checks being carried out. Please refer to the “Safer Recruitment Guide” before applying for any DBSs, to ensure that they are indeed required and before sending them to Church House.
Please could we also ask that unless the role for which a DBS check is being carried out specifically requires the applicant to be working with vulnerable adults e.g. driving them to doctor’s appointments, bathing them or other such like work, then the box at question 65 should be “NO”.
HOWEVER: As Street Pastors/Street Angels may from time to time have to deal with adults who could potentially need medical or personal care, for these roles the question should be answered "YES".
The Protection of Freedom Bill has brought changes to the Safeguarding procedures. The implementation is still being phased in. The changes will be communicated through the e-bulletin and Diocesan website.
In the meantime, the detail of who should or should not be checked is addressed in the interim guidance. Click on the link below to view the list:
A new version of the DBS form has been produced and can be ordered from Church House. Due to demand the maximum order number is 20 forms per request.
All copies of the old forms bearing the CRB logo should be destroyed as they can no longer be processed.
We are working hard at Church House to improve our DBS Disclosure service and are committed to improving it further.
However, we are experiencing a high rate of errors with the completion of the new style form. The DBS has developed some top tips for completion of the forms, to which we have added some further diocesan information. These are available in hard copy from Church House or can be downloaded from the website here
In order to ensure that incorrectly completed forms are not returned to you, please note the following:
- Forms must be completed in BLACK pen
- Dates are required in the MMYYYY format, not DDMMYY with the exception of the Date of Birth field (a14) which requires DDMMYYYY.
- The registered body boxes adjacent to questions a20 and b37 are to verify identification and must be completed by the evidence checker whose details are in section w58. Church House cannot complete the verifier boxes unless the applicant calls into Church House (by appointment) with all their identification.
- Section x must be completed by the person requiring the DBS Disclosure - usually the clergyperson or their delegated child protection co-ordinator.
- All DBS Disclosures are enhanced (field x63). It is no longer possible to obtain a standard disclosure and therefore all fields in section x must be completed.
- Section y is completed at Church House. Please do not sign in the box at section y72 as this is required by the Church house countersignatory.
- Do not use tippex.
- If you make a mistake it is acceptable to rule one horizontal line through any mistake and re-write the information in a space next to the error.
Thank you for your help. This will enable us to process the forms more quickly and efficiently.
Further information can be obtained from Church House (01244 681973) from:
Maxine Southwick on extension 239. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Liz Geddes on extension 240. E-mail: email@example.com