Privacy and Cookies


It is an offence for anyone to kill, injure or capture a bat, or to disturb a colony in any way which is likely to have a negative impact on their continued survival. You will therefore need to take appropriate, professional advice if you are proposing building work and you should liaise in the first instance with Natural England. Your adviser will guide you on whether the works can be amended so as to avoid committing an offence, or whether it is necessary to apply for a licence. Licences should only be seen as a last resort and cannot be issued where a satisfactory alternative exists for mitigating the impact of the proposed building works on the bats.

Detailed advice: available from the Churchcare website. This includes all the information you will need on the legal position regarding bats, evidence of bat activity and practical options for managing bat populations.

Useful link:


Share Page...


The DAC Office - The office of the Diocesan Advisory Commitee (DAC) has responsibility for progressing faculty applications and providing policy advice on church building matters.  The answer to most popular enquiries will be available via these web pages but do contact the DAC Office if not.  Where appropriate, the DAC Office can put you in touch with churches who have undertaken similar work to any scheme you might be proposing yourself.