rededicate doors Wincle school 2013

RSS

undefinedThe Bishop of Stockport, the Rt Revd Robert Atwell, visited Wincle C of E Primary School to dedicate the restored pupil and visitor entrances. The original pupil entrance was built in 1865 and used for almost a hundred years before being blocked up some time in the 1950/60s and used as store cupboard.

It’s now been restored with new doors. The original tiled floor is still attractively serviceable – if a bit worn from all the feet that daily walked in and out during past decades.

The service of dedication was led by Revd Verena Breed, Vicar of St Michael’s church.

Bishop Robert gave a talk to the children during his visit on Ascension Day (May 9) using his his mobile phone as a metaphor. He talked about remembering to charge it up like remembering to pray to God to recharge our batteries.

During the service the children sang ‘Colours of Day’ and used sign language in the chorus. Mrs Smith, KS2 teacher, read a passage from the Bible about Ascension Day.

The service was blessed with sunshine on a wet day. The children went onto the playground to let off bio-degradable balloons with their prayers attached. The school Parent Teacher Association (PTA) purchased the balloons. Volunteer helpers prepared them for the release.

One balloon one had made it as far as York by Saturday 1 May. Bradley Mottram Holmes, Year 6, had a letter from Mrs B Dunhill from Strensall in York saying she had found his prayer card while walking with her friend.

Following the service everyone enjoyed cakes made by the PTA. Pip Worswick, head teacher, showed Bishop Robert a mounted a plaque in the entrance with the verse ‘Be blessed when you come in and blessed when you go out,’ from the Book of Deuteronomy. She also presented the bishop with a commemorative mounted photograph of the school

Pictured above Bishop Robert holding the commemorative photo of the school - with Revd Verena Breed and head teacher Pip Worswick