New book about St James NB 2016

RSS

undefinedA guidebook which tells the history of St James' church in New Brighton, Wirral, has been produced by the parish. It was launched at the Wirral History and Heritage Fair in Birkenhead Town Hall earlier this month. The book shows how the history of the building is intertwined with the history of New Brighton itself, and includes a beautifully photographed guide to the main features of the church.

Publication has been timed to coincide with the completion of the restoration of the landmark church’s spire.  The spire, at 172 feet high, is the tallest in Wirral.  It had become unsafe and has had to be dismantled and rebuilt. 

Richard  Wilberforce, editor of the book, said: “The restoration was made possible by a £250,000 grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund and has been a momentous phase in the history of St James’. This new book is a fitting celebration.” 

The book is now available for purchase at £3 from the New Brighton Heritage Centre, which is based in the church, which stands between Albion Street and Victoria Road.

St James’ is the parish church of New Brighton. It was designed by the eminent Victorian architect Sir George Gilbert Scott.  The building, which is Grade II listed, was opened in 1856 as an integral part of the development of New Brighton by the resort’s founding fathers.

For further information please phone Richard Wilberforce (chair, St James’ Restoration Committee) on 07535 661318 or email richwen@btinternet.com