Gaining local knowledge and support

We would strongly recommend you consider contacting the following community organisations for skills-share initiatives (professional advice offered for free), knowledge of local funding sources and/or obtaining 1 to 1 support and training.

Community Voluntary Service (CVS)

Also known as Voluntary Action or Voluntary Community Associations. This is an important organisation for receiving support; here are the main CVS's in our Diocese:

Other community voluntary support organisations

  • Community Foundations. Community foundations run grant schemes. The best place to start is by phoning your nearest branch to talk through your project. Foundations in the area are as follows: Cheshire Community Foundation; Merseyside Community Foundation; Forever Manchester
  • Cheshire Community Action This organisation provides advice and guidance for rural Cheshire, Halton and the Warrington. This includes funding advice; especially look at ‘Community Development’, ‘Community buildings’ and ‘Grants and Funding’.
  • Cheshire Connect Skills-share initiative. This organisation matches the skills and expertise of local businesses and professionals, kindly offered for free, with the needs of the voluntary and community sector
  • Resonate Connect. Skills-share initiative. For the Greater Manchester area, matching the skills and expertise of local businesses and professionals, kindly offered for free, with the needs of the voluntary and community sector

Local authority (council) funding

Your council may have a Fundraising Officer and/or website advice. Each council may have a Members Budget and/or Local Forum funding. Also contact your local MP for advice and support. For example:

Gathering evidence of need for your project 1- national statistics

Index of Multiple Deprivation. Your parish and neighbourhood has been ranked against national indicators to show the level of deprivation in your area. You can find out your score and particular issues affecting your area:

Gathering evidence of need for your project 2- local statistics

  • Community Voluntary Service (CVS). They may be able to direct you to research on local needs, assets and future plans for the area- see links at the top of this page
  • Local authority Community Officer . Your council may have a post sometimes called a Community Development Manager, Community Resilience Manager, Locality Manager or similar title, who may be able to assist. For example:
    • Cheshire East, Tina Jones, Community Resilience Manager, E: Tel: 01270 685811  
    • Cheshire West and Chester, Paul Hickson, Senior Locality Manager, E:, T: 01244 972734
  • Statistics online. For example:
  • Parish Council. They may be a useful source of advice on any research gathered on local needs and assets, if one is in your area
  • Neighbourhood Plan, Local Area Plan.  Consider how your project can be part of your Neighbourhood Plan, or for some areas, Local Area Partnership and/or Local Strategic Partnership. The plan focuses on land use, for example, how church building or land assets could best be used to meet wider community needs. For example:
  • Local History Societies. One idea for a possible partnership on gathering research of the building and social history, assisting with delivering heritage activities etc etc. Also, your Local Archives Service.

Back to Fundraising Homepage


Page last updated: 17th Jul 2018 8:42 AM